Bulk organic herbs, spices and essential oils. Sin

Friday, April 8, 2011

New and Improved Hair Nourishing Vinegar!

After I did my normal once a month henna hair treatment last week, I was reminded how great henna made my hair look and feel. Not just the color, but the texture, thickness, and shine! So, I came up with a way to make henna part of my regular hair care routine without dealing with the mess.

Introducing Henna and Rosemary Infused Apple Cider Vinegar!

Here's whatcha need:
1 muslin bag
funnel
soup pot
stainless steel bowl
2-3 ozs of henna (whatever color you like, I use red)
1 32 ozs. bottle of Bragg's Apple Cider Vinegar
1 handful of an herb of your choice to compliment your hair color or needs.
I used fresh rosemary because it's good for rich, dark hair tones, adds luster and body, and smells great to!

Here is a short list to give you some ideas:
Burdock: helps prevent dandruff
Chamomile: softens hair, good for light golden tones
Lavender: stimulates hair growth, degreases
Calendula: lightens hair color
Sage: tonic and conditioning, darkens the hair
Nettles: tonic and conditioning, prevents dandruff
Witch Hazel: astringent, cleanses oily hair

I choose to do the double boiler method to infuse the vinegar. Use a large stainless steel soup pot and a stainless steel bowl that fits over the pot, like so:
Fill the pot up with a couple of inches of water. Warm on high heat until hot, but it doesn't have to be boiling.
Place ingredients in the bowl, mix well,  and place on top of the pot.
Bring heat to low, cover and let sit a least for a couple of hours, but longer if you have the time.
Stir occasionally.
When your done infusing, place the funnel into the vinegar bottle and place the muslin bag into the funnel, like so:
Slowly pour vinegar through the muslin bag, being sure to squeeze out all the liquid (rubber gloves are a good idea) and there is your very own herbal hair goodness!
I have been using it the same as the vinegar treatment I mentioned before, 1 Tbsp. in 2 cups of water, work thought hair, let sit a few minutes, and rinse. My hair is feeling fuller and healthier already! Enjoy:)



2 comments:

  1. This is interesting; I’m only worried my hair might smell of vinegar. But it could be worth the try if it works well. herbal products

    ReplyDelete