Bulk organic herbs, spices and essential oils. Sin

Thursday, April 28, 2011

My Experiential Paper on Chaparral


Since this is an "experiential" blog, I would like to share with you all my personal experiential materia medica paper for herbalism class. Enjoy!


Rory Wilson

Experiential  Materia Medica

Latin name, family: Larrea tridentata, Zygophyllaceae

Common name: Chaparral, Creosote Bush

Taste: bitter, pungent

Delivery systems: I have found that using a hot or cold infusion of Larrea leaves me with a clean, cool, tingling feeling. As it moves through my body, I can feel it detoxifying, sweeping through my organs like a broom and collecting the debris. The tincture I have only used externally, with the same effects. It has cooled and healed many of my inflammatory skin problems, including a mysterious rash that appeared on my face, cold sores, and acne. I also found that it slightly relieves the discomfort of bug bites.

Description:  To me, this plant is the one that aesthetically sticks out of the dessert landscape wherever I go. It almost glows, seemingly boasting its amazing healing powers. The shape is what most people would see when they pictured a bush. Its branches are thin, but surprisingly tough to break. The leaves of this plant are what I deem it’s most beautiful feature. They are small, tremendously green, little beads of resinous glory. Their sticky coating makes them shine in the sun, thus giving this plant its glowing effect. On the ends of some of the branches are tiny buds, and on some, precious little yellow flowers.

Actions:  Alterative, antitumor antifungal, antimicrobial, and laxative. In my experiences, I have felt the cleansing and detoxifying powers of this plant. I have used the tea a few times to disperse the effects of a hangover. I also have seen the externally healing power in clearing up my acne, inflamed rashes, bug bites, and cold sores.

Effects on body energy:  I have not used the tea extensively enough to greatly comment on the long term effects on my body. The powerfulness tells me that it is not something I should be taking regularly or long term. When I do occasionally drink the infusion, I immediately notice a cooling effect, and also a sense of well being physically. I feel that the energy goes to my kidneys and liver, with also a little bit of disruption to my normal digestive flow. It feels like a pushing energy, almost like its expelling any unwanted material within me.

Current clinical uses: Used to cleanse the body after chronic chemical poisoning, clears chronic mucus congestion from people working around chemicals, treats anemia associated with impure blood, clears parasites in the bowels, eases chronic indigestion, cramps, and nausea, dissolves calcareous deposits, treats ongoing kidney and bladder infections, helps clear skin fungus, athlete’s foot, nail fungus, skin mites, ringworm, scabies, chiggers, herpes simplex, shingles, poison ivy, insect and snake bites, inflamed splinters, impetigo, staph infections, acne, blackhead, whiteheads, liver spots, psoriasis, and eczema, soothes arthritis, prevention of cancer from radiation exposure, reduction of tumor growth especially abnormal cervical tissue growth and cancer in females.

Biochemistry and mechanism of action: The major active constituent in chaparral is nordihydroguaiaretic acid (NDGA), a lignan that has potent antioxidant and anticancer effects. Lignans have been show to have antitumor and antiviral actions, and this may explain the overall cancer risk reduction that is seen in the use of this plant.  It is active against human papillomavirus, herpes simplex virus, and human immunodeficiency virus. It also displays hyperglycaemic, antioxidant, and oestrogenic activity and decreases progesterone production.


Safety factors: Using this plant in excess can be strenuous to the liver and cause symptoms of hepatitis. NDGA inhibits certain enzymes in the liver, possibly encouraging production of pro-inflammatory mediators and potentiating hepatoxicity.  If improperly used eternally, it has been seen to cause contact dermatitis. Although studies have warned of this plants potential toxicity, it seems that with the correct dosage, these side effects can be avoided.

Herbs to pair with:
Red clover: blood cleanser
Milk thistle: Liver protecting
Peppermint: liver and gall bladder support
Dandelion leaf: kidney support
Dandelion root: liver support
Tea tree oil (topically): antiviral, antifungal, antimicrobial


No comments:

Post a Comment