Bulk organic herbs, spices and essential oils. Sin

Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Holly Hummus!

This is my first of  many recipes to be posted for you all to try. Today I made hummus, one of my absolute favorite foods in the whole world. Just about every time I make it, I try something different. This time I added green onion, flax seeds, and fresh dill from my house mate's garden. Now, I'm one of those people that NEVER measures ingredients, so bear with me while I try to explain to you good people how I concocted this wonderful tub of yumminess.


"That's a Dilly!" Hummus

What you will need:
dried garbanzo beans (as many as you think you'll need)
fresh garlic
fresh dill
green onion
flax seeds
sunflower seeds
tahini
lemons
olive oil
salt, pepper, and whatever other spices you prefer
purified water

I started my soaking overnight about 2 1/2 cups (that's just what I had, no reason for that amount) of garbanzo beans, then boiling them the next day until they were soft, drain and then cool. It made a LOT of hummus, so you can cut this whole recipe in half if you want.
In a blender, add about a cup of beans, juice of one lemon, large heaping spoonful of tahini, 2 gloves of garlic,  handful of chopped up green onions, two handfuls of flax seeds, two handfuls of sunflower seeds (like my measurement system, eh?), about 1/3 cup of olive oil, around 3 stalks of fresh dill, some salt and pepper, and I like to add some dried basil. Then fill with water or broth just until it almost covers your ingredients. Blend well on low setting (you don't want to liquefy it) then add another cup of beans, blend on low until smooth but not pureed. You can do this as many time as you want for as much hummus you want to make, I found it wise not to fill the blender to much, so I do mine in batches. And voila! Delicious, nutritious hummus! Be sure to make a lot and share with your friends, trust me, they will be thankful:)
Get creative! Try different nuts, herbs, and beans to customize and create your perfect hummus. Make it yours, friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment